Welcome to Derek's Poker Blog

Monday, May 16, 2005

WPBT WSoP Satellite #4

Poker Stars
Sunday, May 15th

Congrats to JoeSpeaker for winning the 4th seat!! He's been really hot lately in WPBT play. Well done Joe. Great job!!!

I had a blast even though I blew a huge chip lead. I laid down a few bad beats early in the tourney. Sorry CJ!! In a very fitting matter, I lost a T10,000 pot to a bad beat on the river. It was all down hill from there. Oh well. That's poker. I'll post a longer write up of the tourney later. I got KO'd later on when we got down to 2 tables. I made a mini run late but eventually ran out of gas. I finished in 10th place. Congrats again to Bob, Russell, Wes, and Joe for winning seats! Good luck guys!!

By the way, this little poker blog quietly turned a year old last week. How about that!!!


Editor's Note:

68 people played in the tourney. I got lucky early when my 88 beat out CJ's 99. I raised preflop and CJ called. The flop came down 7-2-5. I bet the pot and CJ raised. Normally I would fold my 8's this early in the tourney but I called this time to see if I could hit my set on the turn. I was re-reading the NL section in Super System 1 at the time and Doyle was talking about trying to hit your set on the turn if you think you might be beat by an overpair on the flop. If you hit that set, you can cripple your opponent. CJ's raise wasn't that big relative to my stack since it was early in the tourney, so I called. Well, an 8 hit the turn and CJ called most of his chips away to me. Ouch CJ!!

I rivered a set of 5's against AQ a few hands later after a table switch. My opponent had TPTK and I tried to bully him the whole way since I was the big stack. I won and became the chip leader with T4,485 in Level 1. Nice.

Al tried to bluff me with the hammer and lost. I bluffed with the hammer twice and won! I was the chipleader for most of the tourney. I took a big pot from Royal and KO'd him when my QQ beat out his AK. I KO'd a bunch of people in this event. I stopped counting after 6. lol. I was doing really well until I lost to a river straight. That was the beginning of the end for me. I flopped a set of 9's and lost a T10K pot to 88's. CJ must have been shaking his head! I lost most of my chips when I called an all in bet with AK. I lost to 44. I went from T20,000 to T1,700 in 2 hands. Damn! I fought my way back to T6,000 but lost all of it when my A9s went up against JJ and AK. I finished in 10th and missed the final table.

9 Comments:

At 5/16/2005 1:02 AM, Blogger Joanada said...

Good job on the tourney Derek :) I was hoping one of you New York boys would win it

 
At 5/16/2005 3:31 AM, Blogger Pauly said...

Nice effort for sure. Congrats on one year of blogging.

 
At 5/16/2005 1:26 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hey, 11th isn't bad, but if you're not careful, your new nickname might be the bridesmaid.

 
At 5/16/2005 1:30 PM, Blogger Derek McG said...

lol. always a bridesmaid and never a bride!

 
At 5/16/2005 3:15 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Exactly. Which means if you win the vegas tournament, there's going to be a veil involved somewhere...

 
At 5/16/2005 3:27 PM, Blogger Easycure said...

Nice finish.....again.

 
At 5/16/2005 5:07 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

One of these days you'll win one of these things, although it will be the day when we only have 13 players due to some unforseen force of nature...but you'll win.

I just realized today that I'll be in training from the end of the Vegas trip until June 24th or something. That will be in New Jersey not far from New York City. I'll at least have a few days or evenings free so start thinking booze and cards right now!

 
At 5/17/2005 2:20 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

woohoo, congrats on the year of blogging!

and damn derek, you are DUE for a win. soooooooo close once again....

 
At 5/18/2005 9:27 AM, Blogger BadBlood said...

Congrats on 1 year D. See you in 15 days. Can't fucking wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home