Welcome to Derek's Poker Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Las Vegas - Day 3

Sunday, December 12, 2004
Sports Book, Mandalay Bay, & boozing with AlCan'tHang


"I don't know how to fall asleep. I only know how to pass out." - Rodney Dangerfield


I can't remember much from this day. It's taken me a long time to piece together the events of this day. My troubles started soon after I woke up. Supposedly that's a good thing. Paul and I woke up and hit the food court at the Excalibur. We ate at McDonald's and I had a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. Nice! We were running late. Kickoff time was approaching and we wanted to place a bet before we got to Mandalay Bay.

We ran into SnailTrax at the Excalibur sports book. We placed some bets and headed to the tram. When we got there, AlCan'tHang, BG and Bob were waiting around at this table. They reserved it for everyone. Paul and I placed a bet on the Bengals as per Iggy's advice. We placed our bets and Iggy's at the Excalibur and quickly noticed that the spread was better at Mandalay Bay. Oops! We all picked Cincy over NE. The weird thing is that I picked NE in all my football pools that weekend. Iggy was very convincing the night before with his Bengals pitch so I put some money on them.

BadBlood dropped the hammer in the poker room which was right next to the sport book. He caught two pair on the river. Otis and CJ showed up shortly afterwards. CJ talked about his breakfast meeting with Edna from the Aladdin. I recently saw Edna on TV. She was at the WPT Bellagio event that Daniel Negreanu won. She was sitting in the first row. lol. She's the poker room manager at the Aladdin. The PokerProf and CJ met with her to discuss our next live WPBT event.

Grubby, Eva, and Iggy showed up during the first set of games. Of course, I lost some money at the Mandalay Bay Sport Book (yet again). The Steelers-Jets game killed me but at least I was shitfaced by 11am. I can thank AlCantHang for that. I was pretty damn wasted that morning. As Paul said, "I was visibly slurring my speech and speaking with a three second delay." At one point, Eva passed out in the chair next to me. Thank god Paul picked up some chicken fingers and fries from the nearby cafe. It definitely helped sober me up a little.

Al and gang kept breaking out into the now infamous San Diego Super Chargers fight song. By the fourth quarter of the Chargers game, everyone had the cheer down perfectly. The funny thing was that we had everyone's attention. Everyone in the sports book was focused on our group when we'd burst into that rowdy rendition of the Chargers' fight song. This old guy in front of us would stand up every time and direct the chorus of poker bloggers as we chanted.

Al had a decent sized bar tab going but he kept buying more SoCo shots for us. What a guy!! So Iggy's tip panned out and we won our Bengal's bet. Paul, Iggy, GRob and myself all had money on Cincy. What a game! Soon Paul and I took off for the Excalibur after the games and headed for dinner. I ate a burger since i had fingers for lunch. I inhauled the damn thing pretty fast.

We headed off to the poker room after dinner. BG was there. I played for a few hours and crashed really hard. I wished I stayed up longer that night. I could've played at BG's table. That would've been fun. I hear there was a fishy slutty middle aged woman at his table. Oh well . . . . bed was calling after a long day at work.

I remember this one thing from the poker room that night. There was this kid who kept telling everyone at the table that he wanted to turn pro. He said he read all poker books and was studying real hard to be a great player. The funny thing was that he was a horrible player. He lost every big pot he was in. This Canadian woman kept making fun of him. She was pretty damn annoying in general though. She kept demanding to see my hands when I'd bet her out of a pot. I just laughed at her. So did the dealer.

Supposedly sometime before or after Paul's Bellagio hookers sighting, Paul came into the room when I was sleeping. In my sleep, I asked him where his chips where? How funny is that!! I was dreaming and sleep talking about poker. Anyway, this trip report has taken me forever to finish. Stay tuned for my next report. Next up is Day 4: The NL Tourney at the Aladdin.

Stay tuned . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home